Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Season 6, Tony Bennett

This week's show was broadcast live and in full effect from St. Paul's Hermitage, where Grandma Betty was eager to see how well these "kids" could sing some of the greatest songs ever. We had our annual discussion about how they don't make beautiful songs like this anymore, how many more weeks are left this season, how that is a lot of weeks left, and how disappointed she will be when the season is over.

Alas, I begin our collective commentary for this week. I promise that none of Grandma's commentary was provoked.

01 - Blake Lewis - He's pretty good. I dug it. Super wardrobe.

02 - Phil Stacey - I love this song. (while singing along) I like him as well as I did the other one. Great vocal. Excellent selection.

03 - Melinda Doolittle - She's good. Oh my gosh! I bet she gets #1. Don't like the dress or the hairstyle this week, but who really even cares about that. Wow, America, we have to vote!

04 - Chris Richardson - I like him. I wish he would have dressed a little better. His best performance and a perfect song selection.

Ryan's cute.

05 - Jordin Sparks - She's got a good voice. Let's take a moment to reflect on the under 18 crowd of all seasons......She's top of the class. She looks super cute this week.

06 - Gina Glocksen - Like her performance; don't like her wardrobe. Pretty song. She didn't have to put a lot into that. She's good, but not one of the best.

07 - Sanjaya Malakar - His best, I think. However, I felt like I was watching the Love Boat. Oh this song is just beautiful. (note: she said song)

08 - Haley Scarnato - I want her gone. LOVED Simon's look before she sang. LOVED Tony's comments. And we're sitting again. What's she wearing? Well, that's short and tight, isn't it? That's a loud green, even I can see it.

Randy's comment got me thinking ---- What is MY wheelhouse of songs?

09 - LaKisha Jones - Her best until the END. She moved from the top performer to third with that silly ending, darn it. Why didn't she listen to Tony!!!??? She's good, there's no doubt about that.

Here are my rankings:
Top 3 - Melinda, Chris, LaKisha
Middle - Blake, Jordin, Phil, Gina
Bottom 2 - Haley and Sanjaya

I will close this week with a final thought from Grandma. Oh, I hate for it to be over; the songs are so pretty.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Betty is just too darn cute! Didn't Tony look good. For a man in his 80's...Wowsa!

I liked Melinda, Jordin and Lakisha. Even if they do not win - they will get contract - I am not worried about them.

Funny comment: "I want to show America that I can sing"...we are still waiting!

Haley, Haley, Haley - didn't she just need a pole so she could finish her song and dance.

Phil, Chris, Blake and Gina were not memorable for me. Mel

Anonymous said...

Didn't get to watch much of the show but loved the Grandma Betty comments! :-)

Anonymous said...

No offense to Grandma Betty, but that Phil performance was dreadful. He probably forced us to endure another week of Haley. Haley did show us that Simon knows what he is talking about. He knows better than anyone that she can't sing and has to show us her address to stick around.

Lakisha didn't impress me last night - I think she's the Daughtry of this year. Yes, she's better than most everyone else, but she sounds the same every week. Melinda is different in that she can sing different songs well, sound different, and still be in a league of her own, every night.

Melinda, Richardson, Blake, Jordin, and Lakisha stay.

I think Gina stays

Sanjaya - who knows right? He could be final 4 bound for all we know.

Haley will be one of the two on stage at the end of tonight's show, but something tells me Phil is gone.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and my wheelhouse, since you asked, includes Biz Markie, Willie Nelson, Julio Iglesies [sic], Neil Diamond, and Tom Petty [Free Fallin only].

That is all.

Anonymous said...

I will contiue the trend from last week and report on the reactions of my dog, Doug.

Doug didn't bark at Sanjaya this week - I actually take that as a bad sign.

Doug started to sniff at the TV duing Haley's performance (and there ya go....)

A few times when Randy yelled, Doug jumped. I think Randy scares Doug.

The rest of the show was a mix of sleeping and playing tug of war with the blanket.

The only "human" reaction this week would be to Sanjaya's outfit. He needed a splash of color somewhere - big ole red rose perhaps. His dad looked fun.

Anonymous said...

Call me a tattletale, but Marc Lidgard voted for Sanjaya not once, not twice, but 5 times last night, jokingly of course, but still...no wonder that no talent hack in still in the competition...joksters like Marc!


He's my husband, so I can say...lynch him

Melissa L.