Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Season 7, The Finals!



Warning: It's 7:51 and I am already beyond fired up. The blogging this evening might possibly be filled with ridiculously sappy comments.


I am SO excited.


This is hilarious.


I love this show.


Did Luke Perry just yawn? RUDE!


I love this freaking show.


Round One - Clive's Choice

D Cook - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

WOW! I loved it so much I couldn't write.


D Archuleta - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Amazing! Holy crap! Game ON!


Round Two - New Songs Written by Unknowns

D Cook - Dream Big

In a realm of cheesy songs, he made it happen.


(I don't think I am going to be able to pick.)


D Archuleta - In This Moment

Again, this kid is ridiculous. He's bringing his A game. (ha ha I made a funny)


(BTW, Cowell picked Cook on multiple talk shows and interviews.)


Round Three - Contestant Choice

D Cook - The World I Know

Love it! Love him! Absolutely loved it. (Simon can stick it.)


D Archuleta - Imagine

Smart choice. Amazing vocal.


So I didn't love this category. I don't know if I liked it better with a new song or with a season favorite.


I literally can't decide. I have been always the opinionated one, but I really can't pick a winner of the season. They are both the BOMB! (sorry, had to)


Here are the votes so far:

Jenny - So undecided she may lose sleep (thank goodness the tour is here in 63 days)

Mom - Archuleta

Grandma - Archuleta

Emily - Cook

Cathy - Undecided (see you know where I get it from)

Marc - Archuleta

Missy - Cook

Who gets your vote?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was by far the best finale ever...I'm undecided as well, Jenny. I was a little miffed at Simon for his comments to D Cook. Both of these guys have it made either way.

Regis said...

Here is my thought on Simon's comments on David Cook. I think he genuinely thinks David Cook is better and the more exciting performer. I think he thinks that Cook has more talent. I think he is right too! However, I think he realizes that the way the contracts roll as an Idol winner, that Cook will be better off NOT winning so he can negotiate a better contract outside of Idol's reigns.

Archuletta is a decent singer. But he is not a pop star. I think this contest is to find a pop star, top 40 type of singer. Cook has it, David A doesn't. Cook has shown more versatility throughout the season, David A has been very safe in his selections and has been very bland. He has a great voice, he's just not a great performer to the audience.

Like I said, I think Simon was setting up America's vote to go David A's way because in the long run it is better for Cook.

Anonymous said...

I'll humbly disagree with my spouse. I think it's in Cowell's best interest for the show to be legitimized by a successful winner. Unsuccessful winners (e.g., Taylor Hicks) make for diluted finals (i.e., last year contestants openly wanted to make the final 4 and then not win).

I think Cowell was off base last night. I'm not sure what his motives were - maybe Regis is right. It wouldn't be the first (or last) time she was right and I disagreed with her. I just think Cowell was flat out wrong. I heard no discernable difference between Archuleta's previous performances and last night's performances. I don't think he "stepped it up" or whatever the cliche of the day was. And I'm glad Cook (reluctantly) called him out for singing a re-run.

I think David A was, and continues to be, a "cute" performer. Certainly good, no doubt, but not earth-shattering. And I think Cook is better, but that's my opinion. What Cook did with the first songs of last week and this week was original and underrated. To sing U2, without sounding like he was doing an impersonation, is impressive.

My problem with David A, other than "oh gosh" nonsense while bouncing under the strings of his father's puppeteering, is that he a) sings too slowly [listen to how many times he has to catch up to the beat] and b) he swallows the last words of certain lines. He has never been called out for this, and it surprises me. Because I think that will become evident on audio when his fans don't have his puppy dog face to watch.

All that being said, I think Archuleta will win tonight because I think the 9-15 year old girls, whose parents irresponsibily let them have cell phones, will rock the vote.

And, as I spend tonight's episode on the lookout for Henry Winkler on water skis, I wish David Cook the best in his future as another successful runner-up. Right now, the runners-up are clearly kicking the winners butts, despite the successes of Clarkson and Underwood.