Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Top 5 with Neil Diamond

Ok, I must send a shout out to Mr. Stephens who is celebrating his birthday today with his favorite artist.....I can only hope that the show lived up to his high standards.

Now for the show....Please let "tight show" mean two songs a piece and fewer commercials.....THANK YOU!!!!

With all the stars that have crossed into the world of idol, I must admit that Neil Diamond looked pretty good for his age. Must I remind everyone of Barry Manilow week, Kenny Rogers....I could go on. I actually called my mom at a commercial and said "Did Neil have work done because if so, you can't really tell?"

Ok, let's get down to business:

Jason Castro
Forever In Blue Jeans - selection was excellent for his voice, performance was solid but nothing special
September Morn - It was safe, yet in spots pretty rough. I don't get from Mr. Castro that he is in it to win it. (You knew it was only a matter of time before I busted that out.)

David Cook
I'm Alive - Rock version, it's cool. I dig it. That performance went by too quickly (sigh).
All I Really Need Is You - Excellent selection and he's smart to have this be his second song. Loved it. Bring it! In it, my friends, he's in it!

Brooke White
I'm A Believer - She is awkward playing the guitar for this son. She looked great (minus the sparkles). Safe song, safe performance. (Fun fact - her husband is an accountant.)
I Am, I Said - Ryan called her out now didn't he? This selection was SO much better and smarter for her. She's a ballad girl. SO MUCH better. This is the Brooke that I liked early on.

David Archuleta
Sweet Caroline - Fun song for him amidst all his serious ballads. Loved it. Love him!
America - He brought it. Loved it again. He nailed it. His vocals are solid. He mixed it up and it worked.

Syesha Mercado
Hello Again - She needs shoes with that dress. I liked the performance. She's still a little too Whitney for me.
Thank the Lord for the Night Life - Since when is she trying to win tihs? Solid vocal again. She may just be safe.

Ok, so how many people laughed out loud at Paula.....the middle comments were awkward enough until dear sweet Paula. Someone please help her.

Here's how I saw it (feel free to disagree)

Two Davids - own league
Syesha
Brooke
Jason

I think it's time to bid Mr. Castro goodbye and watch his cheesy exit video. (I say cheesy because I won't be disappointed to watch it.)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's blog which will report on my outing to the Vera Bradley Outlet Sale in Fort Wayne, Indiana......watch out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really excited for this show. When I was informed by Jenny that Neil would be on American Idol, I was counting the days. I called all my Neil friends and informed them that the Diamond would be on....What a mistake I made. Overall I was really let down by the performances last night. I realize after last night only Neil Diamond can sing those songs...

Jason Castro
Forever In Blue Jeans - This was really awful. This is one of the few songs I do remember from the concert I went to when I was 5 years old...This song is suppose to be sung with passion. Did he think he was at a Camp Fire on the Beach?
September Morn - No comment. Another classic ruined by Jack Johnson/Ben Harper Jr.

David Cook
I'm Alive - Love it...Anyone that can sing Neil deserves to win. This was a first show I have watched this season and I declared him the winner. He brought passion and that's Neil in a nutshell
All I Really Need is You - That's a hit. Record it.

Brooke White
I'm a Believer - Fun fact that Jenny provided explains it all.
I Am, I Said - I like it. I thought she captured the Diamond Spirit.

David Archuleta
Sweet Caroline - CLASSIC. Should of left it alone. I thought it was awful. Sorry Jenny!!! Honestly, I thought I was at Kings Island watching a show at the theater by the old Smurf Ride. Darn I miss that ride.
America - CLASSIC. MY FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME....Verdict...Ruined it...I'll be watching the Jazz Singer tonight.

Syesha Mercado
Hello Again - I like it. I felt the Diamond Spirit
Thank the Lord for the Night Life -It wasn't bad. I thought the song capture exactly what I was feeling for the entire hour.

Anonymous said...

Let's all face it. David C is the only artist who will make a name for himself (a la Carrie Underwood & Chris Daughtry of previous Idol fame). David A is talented...He will record one album of inspirational "we are the world" songs and sell them to all the teeny bopper girls. I predict he will win, which actually will work to David C's advantage since he will then be able to make whatever album he wants instead of the usual predetermined Idol winner collection of songs (certainly worked to Daughtry's advantage!).