Why do I keep forgetting how much I love this show?
This season will start without commentary from Grandma - no worries, she just took a field trip to my brother's basketball tourney game this evening. I will get her back on track.....(Sidebar #1 - Jim, was Randy wearing "the shirt"?)
So in the first week, I like to judge three categories that make or break our newest members of the "Top" 24. First is song selection. Second is wardrobe. Third is the attitude (not getting too mouthy). Here I go:
01 - Rudy Cardenas - Upbeat song. Wardrobe was normal. He's a little goofy for me, but he sounded good. He is a performer for sure.
02 - Brandon Rogers - Wardrobe checks out, but I don't love the song selection based on what I think he can pull off. He needs to be in the Top 12 though.
03 - Sundance Head - Song choice wasn't fabulous, nor was the wardrobe, but the performance had some power behind it. I liked it. I think the judges were a little too harsh. (Sidebar #2 - Is Ryan on stilts?)
04 - Paul Kim - It's the dude that doesn't wear shoes - I will leave that be for now. It was an interesting mix with the song. I am just not sure about Paul.
05 - Chris Richardson - Nice selection on wardrobe and song. It was very different from Bo and Elliott's renditions. In a word, I thought it was tight. (Sidebar #3 - Paula's hair is very distracting, and she already brought back the seal clap.)
06 - Nick Pedro - Not a fan of his style this evening. The song selection was a little different than what we have heard tonight, but it was alright. Nerves were a factor.
07 - Blake Lewis - Spot on with his selection this evening! Wow! He's good. He was on it. Top 12 material!
08 - Sanjaya Malakar - He dressed his age. The song selection wasn't good for me because it wasn't believable. He has a good voice, but I don't know how far he will make it.
09 - Chris Sligh - OK, I'll say it, he looks like Jack Osborne. Upbeat song selection. Great performance. Top 12.
10 - Jared Cotter - LOVE the song. He looked great. The ladies are going to like Jared. Let's keep him around.
11 - AJ Tabaldo - Fun song, SOLID vocal. He pulled it off. It was a safe song, but that's ok. He will be remembered because he was later in the show.
12 - Phil Stacey - He needs to wear a hat, I think. Bad, bad, bad beginning (I think he and the band were not in sync at all). He nailed it mid-song.
So, in summary, people that I already expect in the Top 12 are:
Brandon Rogers
Chris Sligh
Blake Lewis
Not sure how America is going to vote on this one.....
We are now open for comments.
'Til tomorrow!
17 years ago
3 comments:
After nearly having a seizure, from the colors on the screen andt the volumnous text about something called the "Hills" I am not sure I can coherently provide a comment. But I will try nonetheless.
I should reserve judgment until the second week, but at first blush this season may be in trouble. Specifically because there are no villans and no heroes. I could only find one or two guys last night that I would root for (the funny fern-head guy and the beat box guy because he had the Cojones de Pietras to sing the Keane song). At the outset they are no villans to root against, and not enough people that I would complain were they to be voted off. Maybe the girls will provide such drama.
Well, last night was pretty duddy if you ask me, and the judges are already driving me nuts. I was a continual channel flipper during the whole show, but I'll share my opinions on the bits and pieces that I saw.
Paula looked like she either was stoned or didn't get enough sleep, and she just kept repeating everything Randy said. Despite the fact that they have the most unique names in the competition, Sanjaya and Sundance need to go home this week (oh wait, we can only get rid of one guy, can't we?). The beat boxer guy was my favorite all around performance.
I agree with Jim. The beat boxer and the "funny fern-head guy" (LOL) were my favorites. I am worried about the quality of the boys' group this season. Hopefully the girls will have much more to offer tonight.
Post a Comment